EARLY REGISTRATION POLICYBeginning Fall Quarter 2013, due to State-mandated policies regarding early registration, THERE WILL NO LONGER BE EARLY REGISTRATION THROUGH THE HONORS PROGRAM. SPRING QUARTER 2013 IS THE FINAL QUARTER IN WHICH WE OFFERED EARLY REGISTRATION. This applies to all Honors students including students who have already achieved the Honors Program designation by taking 6 Honors classes. I will be updating the Honors Program website in the next few weeks since this new policy might affect our existing requirement of taking one Honors class per quarter.
1. Students must be part of the Honors Program and have taken at least one Honors class while being part of the program before receiving early registration privileges. For example, if you apply for and are accepted into the program for Fall Quarter 2012, you will not receive early registration privileges for Fall. Instead, you must take at least one Honors class during Fall Quarter 2012 to be eligible for early registration for Winter Quarter 2013.
This is a change to our previous early registration policy and applies to any students who are accepted into the Honors Program after April 9, 2012. Students who were accepted into the program before April 9, 2012 will continue to receive early registration as long as they meet all the other requirements.
2. Students who are in good standing with the Honors Program will receive early registration for Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters. There is no early registration for Summer quarter since we do not offer Honors courses during the summer. "Good standing" means that a student has the minimum 3.3 gpa requirement and has successfully completed at least one Honors class every quarter since being accepted into the Honors Program.
3. Students whose gpa falls below the 3.3 minimum requirement will lose their early registration privileges until the gpa once again meets the minimum requirement as long as they successfully complete at least one Honors class per quarter in the meantime. Once grades are posted, then the early registration privileges will be restored as soon as possible. For example, if a student falls below a 3.3 gpa but meets the requirement after Fall 2012 grades are posted, then the student will receive early registration for Spring 2013. The student cannot receive early registration for Winter 2013 since early registration for Winter 2013 will have already passed before Fall 2012 grades are posted.
4. Students who fail to successfully complete an Honors class every quarter will lose their early registration privileges PERMANENTLY.
5. Students who have successfully completed at least 6 Honors courses while at De Anza do not need to take an Honors class every quarter. However, they do need to successfully complete at least 1 Honors course per year in order to maintain early registration privileges.
6. Students who utilize early registration privileges through the Honors Program MUST register for a class that is on the Honors class list DURING the early registration time. Students who fail to register for a class on the Honors class list will be dropped from ALL their classes. Having too many units or not needing an Honors class for that quarter are not legitimate exceptions. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS. The whole reason for early registration is to register for your Honors class, not for your other classes. Any violations to this policy will result in being reported directly to the Associate Vice President of Instruction and being dropped from ALL your classes that you registered for during early registration. Violations may also result in being dropped from the Honors Program.
If you think that you will not be registering for an Honors course and you don't want to be dropped from all your classes, please contact the coordinator immediately to change your registration date back to your normal date so that you won't be dropped from all your classes. However, remember that if you do not successfully complete an Honors class each quarter, you will lose your early registration privileges permanently.
7. High school, new, and returning students are not permitted to receive early registration.